Local News  »  Sussex Police Horsham Weekly Bulletin

«  Go back to headlines...


Sussex Police Horsham Weekly Bulletin   (27.05.17)

 


Police warn residents following spate of fraud offences

Officers are warning Sussex residents to be alert after a number have fallen victim to fraud where offenders have pretended to be police officers.

 

Between 9 May and 16 May police received six reports from across Brighton and Hove, which we are linking together. The victims received a phone call from someone claiming to be a police officer, saying that they are carrying out an investigation into bank clerks at local branches. The caller goes on to instruct the victim to go to the bank and withdraw money, and then to return home where a Police Officer will stop-by to collect the money for forensic investigations.


Two of those contacted did not hand over any cash, realising this was fraud but four of the victims unfortunately did. An 83-year-old woman gave £5,890, an 83-year-old man handed over £7,500, a third man aged 85 handed over £4,500 and an 87-year-old man gave the suspects £5,000.

Following an operation on Thursday, 18 May officers in Brighton and Hove arrested an 18-year-old man from London on suspicion of fraud by false representation. He remains in police custody as of Friday afternoon.

These offences follow on from another incident that took place in Chichester earlier in the month during which an 85-year-old woman handed over £12,500 to scammers using exactly the same methods.

 

Detective Inspector Andy Wolstenholme said: "The police would never contact people and ask them to withdraw or hand over cash to officers. The people carrying out these frauds are deliberately targeting those they think are vulnerable, so please do look out for your friends, family and anyone you feel may be at risk by passing out this message, to help prevent further people falling victim to this type of fraud.


“If ever you doubt a telephone caller is genuine, simply hang up the phone.  If speaking to callers at the door, always ask for ID and satisfy yourself that it is genuine before dealing with that person.

 

"We want to hear from you if you have received similar calls to these mentioned above or have any information which could help our investigation. Descriptions of those who have attended to collect money differ. You can contact police by calling us on 101 or email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk quoting Operation Signature."


 

https://sussex.police.uk/news/police-warn-residents-following-spate-of-fraud-offences/

 



Police increase high visibility patrols in Sussex



Following the terror attack in Manchester on Monday, Surrey and Sussex Police are continuing to review all of our policing plans on a daily basis.

In light of the increased threat level announced by the Home Secretary overnight, we have bolstered our armed policing capability by increasing our armed officers shifts to 12 hours and have enhanced high visibility policing across the two force areas to provide reassurance for local communities.

As part of an existing national plan called Operation Temperer, military personnel can be deployed under police command to backfill certain firearms roles to free up police resources. Currently they have been deployed to provide static armed guard at key locations across the country including high profile sites in London and major transport hubs. At this stage there are no requirements to deploy armed troops across Surrey or Sussex however this remains an option for us if needed and will continue to be reviewed.

Head of Operations Command Assistant Chief Constable Steve Barry said: “The independent Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre raised the national threat level to ‘critical’ which means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely but a further attack may be imminent.

“This threat level applies to the whole of the UK and not any specific area. Our top priority for Surrey and Sussex is to ensure the safety of the public and in response to the increased national threat level we have increased our armed policing capabilities across both counties and continue to carry out high visibility patrols.

“You will see more armed police officers, working alongside regular patrol teams, around the two counties at key sites and in public areas over the coming days as we continue to operate in a state of heightened alert. At present we have not requested any military resources however this remains an option if required.

“We continue to review security plans for upcoming public events and are working with event organisers to ensure there are appropriate measures in place to keep the public safe.

“Against this backdrop you will see us continue to provide our day-to-day policing across the two counties.

“Terrorists want to create discord, distrust and to create fear and we are determined to stand with our communities and work together to ensure we do everything possible to prevent them from achieving this. As such, we reiterate the national advice that the whole UK public should remain alert and vigilant and report anything suspicious, however trivial it may seem, by calling the Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800 789 321.”

For those holding local events we would draw your attention to the advice and updates on the NaCTSO website

For further information about reporting suspicious behaviour visit here



https://sussex.police.uk/news/police-increase-high-visibility-patrols-in-sussex/

 

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterSha

Alerts/Press Releases sent out this week click the link to see full details.